Mobilizing Decolonized Nursing Education at Aurora College: Historical and Current Considerations
AbstractNursing education at Aurora College in the Northwest Territories, Canada has evolved from its beginnings as a diploma nursing program to today’s undergraduate degree program. The purpose of this report is to share the evolution of the program and the movement towards decolonized pedagogy and epistemology throughout its development. Since 51% of the territory’s population is Indigenous and the other 49% is diverse, traditional knowledge and different ways of knowing, along with cultural safety and competency, are important concepts for northern nursing. The concept-based curriculum lends itself to teaching and learning from a critical post-colonial perspective where students learn to critique and question colonial practices and dominant discourse. Focusing inquiry into colonial pedagogy of this nature will provide new insights and considerations of power and power relations within education. This report contributes to the topic of decolonizing nursing education at a time when there is little substantive effort in this direction. This report is part of a special collection from members of the University of the Arctic Thematic Network on Northern Nursing Education. The collection explores models of decentralized and distributed university-level nursing education across the Circumpolar North.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
a. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication, with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
b. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
c. The journal has the right to authorize third-party publishers & aggregators to include the Article in databases or other services (EBSCO, Proquest).
d. The journal has the right to share the Article on the Internet, through social media and other means.